Hesitant to try a green smoothie because you doubt you’ll like it but super curious to see if it will amp up your health? Then this recipe is definitely for you! My deliciously tangy Sunshine Green Smoothie with subtle hints of ginger and slight mintiness will first satisfy your taste buds and then help you rock your morning or pull you out of that afternoon slump. I drink it as a pre-yoga breakfast (when I need something light but energizing) or as a late-afternoon snack. Also works great as a hydrating post-workout recovery drink.
The nutritional profile and derived health benefits of this smoothie are mind-blowing. It’s high detoxifying, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant potency will literally help you heal from the inside out. Think glowing skin and major disease fighting benefits ✨ .
It is loaded with many important vitamins and minerals, but most notably high in Vit C, Vit A, Vit K, Vit E, B-vitamins, iron, calcium and potassium. It is also a good source of heart-healthy omega-3 fats and easily absorbed amino acids important for strength and endurance. The high fiber content not only gives it cholesterol fighting prowess but also makes it amazingly good for your gut. This smoothie contains pectin (found in whole apples with the skin) which studies show can improve the health of your microbiota (1). With the addition of ginger, this smoothie surely get’s the gut-friendly thumbs-up! Love that it’s also low-glycemic and therefore adrenal friendly.
So do yourself a favor and give this super yummy and energizing drink a go.
Recipe (makes 2)
- 2-3 cups (2 if you don’t like tasting your greens, 3 if you don’t mind) organic power green mix (mine had baby kale, chard and spinach) or just organic spinach
- A large handful of organic parsley or organic cilantro (I used a little less than ½ bunch)
- 1 cup chopped organic celery
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 inch piece of peeled ginger
- 1 chopped organic green apple
- ¼-½ ripe organic pear (you decide for your level of sweetness)
- Juice from 1 freshly squeezed organic lemon
- 1½ cups plain coconut water or more depending on consistency preference
- 1 teaspoon *bee pollen (local preferred)
*If you are highly sensitive to many foods, try only a few granules of bee pollen and slowly work your way up, to play it safe.
Add all ingredients (except bee pollen) to blender and blend until smooth. It’s easier for those without a Vitamix or Blendtec to first put half the ingredients and coconut water, blend; then add the other half and blend really well. Pour into a tall glass. Top with bee pollen and slurp the goodness. Unlike a green juice, leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days.
Do leave a comment and let me know how you liked it. Did you feel the sustained energy buzz? I love feedback .